As I mentioned a couple of blogs back I've acquired some 6mm 1914 armies from Pete Berry at Baccus. I could hardly wait to get stuck into my little Frenchies in their pantalons rouge.
Actually, to be honest, I needed to try out my basing ideas to see if I've got them right. Also I need to try out some painting styles to work out how I'm going to do these.
Pete gave me some advice but it was all about washes and undercoating in different colours and I like black undercoating and dry brushing. Having said that the French are more difficult to do than the Brits & the Germans as they have different coloured trousers and kepis, whereas the other two's uniforms are, well, more uniform.
One of the aims is to make it really clear what everything is. It is possible to mix up things like MGs & infantry at a distance.
The infantry are on 15mm square 2mm mdf. I've got two figures on a base. The bases are finished off with PVA glue and sand. These figures are the advancing ones, all ready for a bayonet charge.
The real jewels in the crown are the artillery pieces. These are the famous French Soixante-Quinze. The guns are a single casting and the detail and proportions on them are stunning. These are based on 20mm squares.
Good start. Pleased so far.